This week we have done recounts. I did mine on my fave thing to do when I'm camping. Cliff Jumping! This was my second time doing it but I was terrified all the same! :-)
- Title: Relates to events / experiences being retold
- Orientation or Introduction: Provides information about who, when, where and why,
- Events - in order of time - in paragraphs with supporting details
- Personal Comment: sums up the events / experiences
- Past tense - with time words e.g. by now, during, then, after that and past tense verbs e.g. climbed, found, leapt, clambered, was
- Choosing the best words as you can
- Your best punctuation and spelling
Make sure you choose an event or experience you remember well!
I gingerly dipped my toes in the freezing water, not wanting to get in. Mum and my sister called encouragement from further up the beach. My dad was already a little way in the water. He turned around and motioned for me to follow him. I took a deep breath and doggy paddled out to meet him. When I got there I clung to his back like a chipmunk. He started out into the deeper water and the current got stronger. Dad’s feet left the bottom and we were gliding down the river at tremendous speed. Paddling forward, we reached the slippery rocks that marked the bottom of the cliff.
I scrabbled over the rocks, anxious to get out of the water. Dad helped me up. The stone felt rough under my bare feet. I started up the cliff. It was overgrown with weeds and plants and rocks jutted out in awkward places. We finally reached the top. Dad was ready to go. He told me he would jump first and I would follow him.
I watched him spiral down towards the strangely calm water and land with a huge splash. I gulped and stared down at the water. I didn’t want to jump. But I had to. Mum and my sister shouted comforting words. I took a deep breath and jumped. I hung, suspended in the air before plummeting down towards the river. I splashed into the water and felt the cold blanket close over my head. I popped up laughing. I felt like I wanted to carry on doing this for the whole day. It was the best fun I had had in my life.